• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Dilution Tool

dwhyte14

Brewer
Reaction score
Hi,

Am looking at combining two beers.

The dilution tool seems fine but maybe I am hard of thinking:

How do you get an overall ABV% from the combined beer.
The tool has specific gravity for each beer and final gravity for the resultant mix but without the starting gravity of each, how can we work out the final combined ABV%?

Hi,
  You would use the weighted average of the two ABVs.  For dilution you are essentially doing a weighted average of the values (by volume) to get the FG, so for example if you take 2 gallons with a gravity A and 3 gallons with a gravity of B, the weighted average is (2*A + 3*B)/5

The same (I believe) holds true for alcohol by volume - so doing a weighted average of the two ABV values should get you in the ballpark.

Brad

Right thanks Brad.

Can I also ask then why there is no starting gravity.
Maybe being dumb again but what use is the dilution tool when combining two fully fermented beers?

Say you have like your example, one 2 gallon beers that started at 1040 and went doen to 1010.
You then added 3 gallons of beer that started at 1030 and went to 1008.

What use is knowing the final specific gravity?

Just can't get my head round that part  ???

Thanks again,
D

Hi,
 If you want to combine unfermented beers you can still enter the gravities and it will combine them.  As I mentioned above it just does a weighted average of the two.

Brad

Thanks Brad.

One other thing, if I was to dilute a finished beer with water, could I work out the finished abv% using the dilution tool?

e.g. beer fermented from 1060 down to 1015 gives 5.9% abv.
We want to dilute that to become a 4% abv beer.
The tool gives the gravity after entering a certain amount of water.

How to work out the finished abv% from post dilution?

Thanks

Back