• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Using olive oil instead of aerating wort

B

bmb

Hi

New to Beersmith and wanted to find out if anyone is using olive oil instead of oxygenating wort?

Was given access to a great paper that extolls the virtues of using Olive oil from the the Director of Brewing Operations at Smuttynose, David Yarrington "My recommendation is to add the olive oil (literally one drop) into the starter right when you start your brew day.  If you give it a few hours contact that will work great.  Smack packs work fine as well, you'll just need to transfer the yeast slurry to another vessel and then add the olive oil."

Been using this with great success and looking to hear from anyone else doing this. Just finished a big Rye Double IPA with this method and the fermentation took a little longer but no issues. Kegging that fine beer soon.

Attachments

• Olive-oil-yeast-thesis.pdf
    145.9 KB · Views: 2
I have tried it. I try everything (beer wise)! I didn't see much difference in anything? I was worried about the oil in my beer but less than one drop didn't hurt me. There is more about this subject on the web so research it. I use nutrients and bottled oxygen to get a good fermentation. I am happy with the results. Olive oil is doable but doubtful.

bmb said:
Was given access to a great paper that extolls the virtues of using Olive oil from the the Director of Brewing Operations at Smuttynose, David Yarrington "My recommendation is to add the olive oil (literally one drop) into the starter right when you start your brew day.  If you give it a few hours contact that will work great.  Smack packs work fine as well, you'll just need to transfer the yeast slurry to another vessel and then add the olive oil."

I saw this thread and was reminded that I was told about this.. by the same person I think on a Smuttynose Brewery tour. I have been meaning to try it..

Only way to really know would be to do two batches from the same wort and starter.. with only the oil being a difference..

Chris

ps - I did find this: http://www.fermentarium.com/homebrewing/brewing-beer/should-you-put-olive-oil-in-your-homebrew/

Back