• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Do you guys Malt your own Barely?

SETTERDOWN

Apprentice
Reaction score
I guess i should introduce myself.  I am from Idaho.  Scored some locally grown 2 row Barely from the farmer down the road. (55 gallon drum of it)  So I am malting it right now.  The asco is 50 % of the grain length now.  looking real good.  I am malting 31 lbs.  I have done alot of extract recipes but this is my first attempt at all grain.  Really excited to say the least.

Quick question?

I am going to dry it outside and the temp is 90 to 95 deg F here.  do I start drying at 75% asco length or start short of that so it does'nt continue growing during drying stage?

Great site and you guy's are way over my head on alot of stuff but i am reading all I can.  I'll have lots of questions in the next few days.  

Thanks Ryan.

I am following the brewsmith method of malting and all is going real well Thanks....

and you guy's are way over my head on alot of stuff but i am reading all I can

I think you are doing what few (if any) of us have EVER tried. Although I have thought about it! (with triticalie)
Trying to dry 31 pounds outside in the humid Idaho heat may prove to be a problem..... but I for one would like to see how it works out. Don't allow any mold to settle in.

humidity is 31% here.  I live closer to nevada in the high dessert.  I will post some pictures of my grain today.  I have it malting in my house.  67 deg. F at 33% humidity.  turning ever few ours.  I also have a hepa filter on my furnace that really keeps the air circulated with alot of ozone.  I am keeping a close eye on it though.  I am at 50 to 60% asco on the grain after just 2 days.

Thanks Ryan.

Heres some pictures.  I am using a outdoor umbrella box.  seems to be the perfect fit.

maltingbarley002.jpg

maltingbarley001.jpg

Sorry the pictures blurry.

Ryan.

SETTERDOWN

Generally no one malts there own barley. It's normally not cost effective or a least not worth the effort. So your one of a few who will be more able to say that "I made this beer"! I hope it works out for you. You are more of a real brewer than I. I am a BIAB guy so simplicity and cost are my motto. Please let us know how it worked out. Maybe you will be a trend setter?

well cracked a few grains and its time to dry.  (I THINK)  I just put a sheet on my hammack and put all the grain on evenly.  Heres some pictures.

maltingbarely002.jpg

maltingbarely003.jpg

Well i guess i will just keep you all posted on how it go's.  I will be asking alot of questions here in the next week then.  I am going to roast some crystle, medium and dark roast.

Thanks Ryan.

The temp is 90F outside not 180F....    ;)

Hello, I'm way down south, Ecuador. it's a real adventure to find malted grains. So I've stared to malt my grain , using the Brad Smith method . Just wondering what your results were.

Well done, SetterDown. He who dares can never be a loser!

When it gets time to heat it up to dry, I strongly advise you don't malt barely. If some grain falls on to your "delicate bits", you may lose your chance at fatherhood!

I agree stay away from malting bare-ly. ;)

I've malted my own home grown, but since I only have a back yard to grow in I work w/one pound batches and it produces enough to really brew with. :(
But it is worth doing (at least once) for the experience.

Back