• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

rookie brewer

M

mbohnert

I just finished making my second batch of beer, an English Pub Ale, from a prepackaged kit. I believe I did everything right except after putting in the corn sugar I forgot to leave it outside the refrigerator for a week including putting it into mini kegs.  I let it sit for 2 weeks and when I tapped the first keg it tasted flat.

Is this a result of not leaving t outside the refrigerator after adding the corn sugar? Is there anything I can do to save the remaining 4 3 kegs.

Thank you.

I screwed up once like that (too many ales BEFORE brewing  ;))

KEEP EVERYTHING as sterile as possible.  Here's what I did...

I just left it in the frig until I prepared a SMALL batch of my yeast starter.  

GENTLY transferred the brew into my closed fermentator and brought the brew back to room temp of 70F.

Added the starter, and let it ferment as normal.

Afterwards repeated the kegging process.

It turned out OK with no objectionalble flavors...  

You came to the right place for help...These guys are fantastic in helping the novice like myself, and promoting good brewing advice...Pay close attention to them and read as much of this forum as you can, whenever you can.  It is a valuable tool.
;D

Took me long enough but I finally brewed my 1st today ;D Irish Stout from a kit and it seems everything went pretty good (house smells pretty good too!) If all goes well I can have a pint or several in time for St. Patty's Day. My only concern was the yeast. pkg said to "let rehydrate for 20 minutes in lukewarm water before adding". Well, a small amount looked dry as I poured it in, hopefully it'll be OK. Anyways, no matter how this turns out i'll be at it again in a week or 2 with another "kit" (scottish ale caught my eye). I'm starting to think that this can be more fun than the wife bargained for. ;D

Mac

It definitely IS more fun than she bargained for.

My wife bought my first setup, after she enjoyed the wine so much...well, NOW it has blossomed into a rather large system (in its development.) If I get it all set up like I want, it will be time to move to anther building.

Have fun!  

HOT damn i'm wound up! Beer is "bubblin'" along nicely now!

My wife would probably 2-hand me if I got BIG with this hobby. I'll try to sneak any expansion into the garage! ;D

Time to put more notes in the calendar and more post-it's on the desk!

Cheers

OK, things seem to be going along pretty well. Used an auto-siphon to move to the carboy (lots easier for me) but 1st took a sample for the hydrometer. Measured 1.021 which is about midrange of the OG and FG so I'm hoping thats tolerable. After testing it, I gave it the taste-test and in a word it tasted like a flat weaker Guinness. Airlock started bubbling right away but it seems to have stopped as of now. I'll give it some time before panicking. So overall i'm hyped and I've thouroghly trashed the kitcken just tryin' to clean up! ;D Life is good and it's almost beer time!

Mac

Back