• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Large yeast starter

merfizle

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
My next lager requires a 4.6L starter with two smack packs.  I have three 2L vessels and am wondering if I have another option so I don't have to split off the starter into three vessels?  I don't have time to get a 5L Erlenmeyer flask since I'm brewing this Friday.  For this brew I'm going to the local store to pick up a 3rd yeast pack.

Thanks.

Mark

Large mason jar, cider gallon jug?  Anything glass that will hold wort may work, as long as you can keep it closed and covered. 

You going to combine all starters before dishing it out?  To equalize any differences in vitality?

I found a a 4L wine jug and will be using that.  I'm having a p roblem determining how big of starter I need though.  I have three Wyeast Activators.  Two have a date of 5/9/11 while the 3rd has 2/7/11.  How big of starter should I make?  BS says I need a 5.192 quart starter with two packets but I want to use three.  Date is used to calucate starter size but for some reason not how many yeast packets have been added to the starter tab? 

Mark

Feb to August is six months, and I think I've read the six-month viability on liquid yeast is around 10%, or 10 billion cells.  Even if that is 20 billion, and you then double it, it's only ~40 billion.  I'd focus on the two May packages and do the yeast math by them. 

I'd keep the Feb package separate, and if it doesn't finish the starter well, you may decide to toss it out and not use it.  If it looks good, use it, and it may add some needed cells.

Back