• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

New version... but lost features?

larsenj

Apprentice
Reaction score
Was this software rushed out the door too soon?

Seriously, I know this is being developed by a team of one, but I can't believe this was released with the holes that it has.  I keep running into pretty standard features (saving sort options, searching recipes by ingredients, etc) that were in 1.4 that are just outright missing from 2.0.  No offense, but that's pretty inexcusable...  :mad:

Until these holes are patched and removed functionality returns, I'd rather go back to my old brewing software.  BeerSmith 2.0 has promise, but it needs to actually be completed before I'll enjoy using it.
:-[

Hi,
  I'm sorry you are disappointed.  As far as I know the program does save your sort columns between sessions - is there some behavior you are seeing not consistent with this?  How can I duplicate it?

The search by ingredients is something I'm working to add back in.

Brad

Brad,  Just a note, 2.0 does not save the sort like it did in 1.4.  I posted a bug report on another thread called "Recipe list default sorting" in the BeerSmith 2 Bugs/Support forum but saw no response.  I also posted a screen shot.  Here was my post:

"While searching the forum before reporting a bug related to sorting I found this short thread.  I have the latest build and the ability to retain the sort order is not yet fixed.  It seems to always default to an ascending sort order based on whichever column was previously selected.  My issue is I typically want the Brew Log sorted descending by date and the My Recipes sorted by name.  I hope this bug is still in process of being fixed.  I think it easiest to state that I prefer the sort to retain whatever was selected at the time of the last Program close.

Other sort issues:

- If I select the My Recipes folder and sort by name, then click on Brew Log and sort by date, then close the program and reopen then both My Recipes and Brew log are sorted the same (by Name).  I think they should retain the setting last used and can be different for the different folders.

- This one is hard to explain... it seems that once the program opens into the my recipes view, if I click on sort by name, then if I go to brew log and click on sort by date, then go to My recipes and click on sort by date, that I get the little triangle symbol on both the name and date column.  If I click on date then only the date triangle shows up. I attached a picture. "

Overall I'm very pleased with 2.0.  There are some features I have not got used to, such as believing the yeast starter volume since it seems there is such a disparity with other calulator sizes.

Hi,
  I took a look at the sorting earlier and it was working (at least for simple test cases).

I think what may be happening is that the program is saving the sort values for the last view closed instead of the last one you changed.  It actually does save the sort columns (if you open a single view and adjust/close it - it works).  However when you have multiple views open, I think its saving the last one that happens to get closed.

I'll take a closer look at this again.

Brad

Thanks for looking into it.

As a re-check I opened BS2, the Recipies view opens and is sorted by date in ascending date order (no mutliple views).  I changed the sort to descending date order and closed BS2.  I reopened BS2, Recipies were sorted again by date in ascending date order, thus did not save my settings.  This computer is running Windows 7, 64 Bit

I checked operation on my laptop - I opened BS2, the Recipies view opens and is sorted by date in ascending date order (no mutliple views).  I changed the sort to descending date order and closed BS2.  I reopen BS2, Recipies were sorted again by date in ascending date order, thus did not save my settings.  This computer is running Windows XP.

So in my simple, non multiple view test on multiple PCs did not save the order.

Hope you can duplicate this.  Thanks!

I have the same issue. I do like the software but it becoming frustrating that it does not remember the sort. i always look at "my recipes" and "brewlog" by date from newest to oldest. vs 1.4 opened it in the same "sort" order as it was closed last time. vs. 2.0 opens to a default order. getting tired of constantly resorting my views,

OK,
  I'll go back and double check this one more time - and certainly fix it in the next release!

Brad

BeerSmith said:
Hi,
  I'm sorry you are disappointed.  As far as I know the program does save your sort columns between sessions - is there some behavior you are seeing not consistent with this?  How can I duplicate it?

The search by ingredients is something I'm working to add back in.

Brad

Brad, have you implemented this feature?  I downloaded Beersmith 2.1, but I don't see it...  Any chance it's coming sometime this year?

Thanks
Jeff

Back