• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Batch sparging in BeerSmith 2 always makes me do a 3 stage sparge

chasn702

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a new user of BeerSmith, and I'm running into a problem setting up my batch sparge.  I planning to do a two stage batch sparge, but I can't figure out how to set that up in BeerSmith.  I have selected "Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge", and BeerSmith seems to default to "Batch sparge with 3 steps".  How do I adjust this to 2 steps?

Thank you in advance for your help!

-Charlie

Provided your mash tun is big enough follow this:

Select the "Mash details" tab
Find the edit "tick" beside the Mash profile "button"
A new form opens
Tick "Batch sparge using ....."
and tick "Use equal batch sizes"

This will alter the current profile but you can create your own profile

Profiles >> Mash >> Add Mash

Name it, save it and then you can use that from now on.

Thanks for the reply and help Chiller!

Unfortunately, even after trying your suggested steps, it's not allowing me change it to a 2 stage sparge.  On the "Mash Details" tab, in the "Sparge" field, it says "Batch sparge with 3 steps (1.79 gal, 1.79 gal, 1.79 gal)".  I suppose it's not a big deal, as I can just ignore that and proceed with a 2-stage batch sparge.  But it would be great to figure out how to change this.

The "Sparge" field is grayed out and doesn't allow me to change it.  I'm sure I'm just missing a setting somewhere, but for the life of me I can't figure it out.

-Charlie

Doh!  I knew it was something that should have been obvious.  It turned out that my equipment profile was setup with a smaller MLT, making it impossible to do a 2-stage sparge.  Once I corrected the equipment settings, Beersmith automatically changed it to a 2-stage sparge.

Thanks again Chiller.

-C

Glad to see you were able to figure it for yourself. :) Enjoy your next brew.

Steve

Back