• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Should I add more yeast

koots55

New Forum Member
Reaction score
So am am fairly new to brewing and a customer at my bar told me about this site.

The question I have is if I should add more yeast right now. The reason why I ask is because I activated the bag of liquid yeast and let the bag swell up. It might have been in the sun light, not sure, it was about 90 degrees yesterday. Then, just because I was in a hurry and had to get outta the house, I pitched the yeast into the fermenter when it was around 80-85. I went down there today and it is activated for sure. the foam seemed like it went up about an inch, then down a little. Should I add more just to cover myself?? I dont know if i killed a lot of yeast or not. And I think if I should and could add more, I should do it now instead of later. Now the temp is 78-80

Here is my recipe if that matters.....

1/2 lb of UK Roasted Barley 470-560L
1/2 lb of Caramel 60L

3.3 lb of liquid light malt extract
3.3 lb of liquid dark malt extract

2oz of fuggle hops
1oz of fuggle hops for last 5 minutes of boil.

1 lb of lactose

The yeast i used was WYEAST 1084 Irish Ale XL Yeast

thanks

I wouldn't worry about it.  Let it go and see wherethe gravity drops to.  But you should drop the temperature of your wort - above 72 F, off flavors and fusel alcohols are produced.

Irish Ale is a fast, vigorous fermenter.  If you have foam, you are fine.  My guess is that activity has decreased because fermentation is about finished.  I've had 3 day fermentations at 68F with that strain.  At the temperatures you are talking about, 36 hours to finish wouldn't surprise me.     

Back