• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Overflowing Starter

M

maddspoiler

Made a starter last night and it was a little larger than expected. Now its overflowing with foam. Should I worry or just leave it and pitch tonight when my wort is done cooling? (1.040 starter with Pilsner DME and WLP530 and some yeast nutrients.) Making a Belgian Dubbel as we speak!

I think it depends on how bad it is.  If its flowing over the kitchen counter across the floor out the backdoor and into the yard, get a bigger container.  If it just made a little puddle under the container you should be ok.  The foam is just from the CO2 escaping.  If you shake it (if that's what you're doing) more often the foaming shouldn't be so bad since the CO2 won't have as much time to build up.  After sitting overnight or all day while you are at work the foam is always worse than when you keep up with it.

Yeah just a small puddle from foam. 2000ml flask and it ended just over 2000 when I pitched. 12 Hours later its foaming over the top. I have a foam stopper on it instead of tinfoil and its going through the foam stopper. Just making sure I dont have an increased risk of infection or anything.

To get an infection you must introduce something. If you have continual positive pressure and outflow with no inflow, there is no way to introduce anything.

RDWHAHB

Send the beer to me, I'll dispose of it.
No thanks needed, glad to help.

Yeah Its fine. Pitched it yesterday afternoon and within minutes the carboy was bubbling away. I put a blowoff on it just in case. This morning I have like 5 inches of head on it. This yeast seems really active!  ;D

Well this yeast is the most active Ive ever seen. Im glad I put a blowoff tube on or Id have a mess right now. The whole headspace and half the blowoff tube are full of foam. This is gonna be one awesome Dubbel!

Back