• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

First all grain worries 2

BruDawg

Apprentice
Reaction score
Well guys thanks for the advice i brewed last tuesday. Most went well till i went to hook up my plate chiller and realized i did not have enough fittings to hook it up. welll i chilled it the best i could and put it in the air conditioning for 12 hours to get it down to pitch the yeast. Now one of the carboys is fermenting away and the other is barely bubbling the air lock. i did use some star san to push the rest of the wort thru the pump into the second carboy but i would say less that a cup got in. used i package of yeast per carboy. Will star san affect the fermentation it is supposed to be no rinse?

Brindle Puppy Porter

17 lbs Pale Malt
2 lbs Choc Malt
1.5 oz Pearl Hops 45 min
3.0  Goldings Hops  15 min
2 tsp Irish moss
Edinburgh Ale White labs yeast 2 Vials

Interesting.  You may want to ask 5 Star Chemical that question.  There is a significant difference in the amount between the wet residue and possibly 7-8 ounces liquid sanitizer.

Certainly could affect the pH among other things. 

Was it covered during that 12 hours? Long delay in pitching yeast is asking for trouble. A vigorous fermentation could be a good sign or bad. StarSan should not affect the fermentation. Maybe you just have a air leak in the fermentation vessel? 

I actually listened to the brewstrong about sanitizing the other day and it had the founder of star san on it. He says as long as its mixed to a 1 ounce per 5 gallon ratio it is a no rinse, and if its not totally dry dont worry. Also it does not effect ferm because it is only sanitizes at a ph of 3 or lower. It might bring your wort PH down slightly but the wort instantly nulls the effects of star san and this is why it is so great for brewing. You can even put that stuff in your air locks. This came from the mouth of the manufacturer! Jamil and John also said you shouldnt use any sanitizer that you have to rinse because youll just introduce more bugs. Highly recommend listening to it!

Im pretty familiar to Whitelabs and if you dont make a starter you might get a slow start because viability could be low. Check the best by date and go 4 months back. Use this as the manufacture date in beersmith and it will give you the idea of how viable the yeast was. Might take a few days to start. RDWHAHB

Well i transfered it to secondary tonight not as much stuff on the top to clean out of the primary fermenter. well just wait and see how it turns out next week. Yes it was covered and an air lock on  the glass carboy from a minute or less from it being filled .

Thanks for the advice. next time push it out of the pump with water. lessons learned.

Back