• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Pumpkin Ale in Beersmith??

brentt03

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Looking to get a Pumpkin Ale recipe going in Beersmith; what is the best base recipe to choose?

Thanks

Here's my recipe. i get a lot of request for this one.
this is for all grain

5 lbs 12 oz Pale malt (briess 2row)
1 lb 10 oz Crystal malt 10L
8 oz Cara-Pils
2 15 oz cans libbey's purely pumpkin (60 min Boil) ( use 1 for lees pumpkin taste)
8 oz light brown sugar
1 oz Mt. hood hops (60Min)
1 oz cascade (5min)
1 tsp. nutmeg (5min)
1 tsp Cinnamon (5 min)
2 cloves
1 pkg. safale 05 yeast
i use a single infusion mash @ 153 F
O.G. is usually at 1042

hope this helps

Provided it boils and dissolves properly into the wort, the addition time shouldn't matter much. Just stir, stir, stir and keep a careful eye on temperature readings to keep it from scorching.

The spices here seem miniscule. Normally you add more than that for 1 pumpkin pie, which has about 2 lbs(32oz) of liquids to start with. Seems way under-spiced to me. I am also looking for a good pumpkin ale recipe, but want those bold spices to really come through. The spices from Shipyard Pumpkin Ale would be ideal, if only it had some body to it.

I boiled the 5# of fresh pumpkin when I made one.  Cut meat in one-inch squares, baked in oven with brown sugar drizzled on them.  Zymurgy cover story/recipe a couple years back.

It adds significantly to the boiler trub, so perhaps increase boil volume to account for it.

Attachments

• PumpkinTrub.JPG
    PumpkinTrub.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 613
anyone ever try roasting fresh pumpkin. Blending to a puree and adding to the mash? I've doen the fresh. I used 6 1/2 lbs fresh, roasted and then added it to the boil last 5 minutes. The beer had a great pumpkin taste. i would guess an extra gallon of trub in the boil pot. i added 1 tsp cinn., 1/2 tsp ginger and 1/2 tsp nutmeg and it was plenty spicey. i wouldn't want more.

Looking to do a pumpkin as well, wife said make, SO I am ,LOL
MaltLicker
Can you post the Zymurgy pumpkin
Thanks or export in BS2
thanks

I just drank one of my last bottles of this and it's still very good.  Enjoy.

Attachments

• Pumpkin.bsmx
    27.6 KB · Views: 742
MaltLicker said:
It adds significantly to the boiler trub, so perhaps increase boil volume to account for it.

I can attest to the excessive trub. Out of 11 gallons I probably lost over 2 gallons to trub. I used 12# in a 11 gallon batch. I used 8# in the boil (60 min) and 4# in secondary. Turned out to be a great beer but the yield was pretty low. I even tried to secondary the beer for an extended amount of time and cold crash it, but I still lost a large amount of beer due to trub.

RJKSKI said:
Do you put the pumpkin in the mash or boil. If mash do you have problems with it sticking?

the amounts are probably ok being they are the last 5 mins of the boil. i did a pumpkin porter for this past october and it came out very nice. my spice quantities were a bit more but i added them in the last 10 or 15 mins..the later you add them the less you need.

also, the longer you boil pumpkin the more vegetal/herbal your beer will taste. i actually mashed three 15oz cans, and added two 15oz cans the last 15 mins of the boil. this gave it a bit more residual pumpkin sweetness and aroma rather than a pungent vegetal pumpkin flavor..

Back