• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Formula for how much DME/LME to add when gravity missed

mmonacel

Apprentice
Reaction score
It would be very helpful to have in the tools section a way to determine the amount of DME / LME to add if you missed your pre-boil or post-boil gravity. 

For convenience, here's the info:

○ Missed Pre-Boil Gravity
§ Extract needed in lbs = (Total gravity(target) - Total gravity(from mash))/45 for DME, or 38 for Liquid extract
□ Total gravity is the volume of wort X gravity units of wort.
® Ie. 1.042 specific gravity = 42 gravity units
□ Example
® Total gravity(target) = 6gal (pre boil volume) x 64 (target pre boil gravity units) = 384
® Total gravity (from mash) = 6 (pre boil volume) x 42 (actual pre boil gravity units) = 252
® SO your equations with number is
® (384 -252)/45 = 2.93 lbs of DME
□ Pasted from <http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/formula-determine-how-much-dme-add-when-pre-boil-gravity-missed-185394/>

Shameless bump and clarification:

DME formula (uses the 45 divisor)
Pounds DME to Add = ((pre-boil volume * target pre-boil gravity points) - (pre-boil volume * actual pre-boil gravity points))/45

LME formula (uses the 38 divisor)
Pounds LME to Add = ((pre-boil volume * target pre-boil gravity points) - (pre-boil volume * actual pre-boil gravity points))/38

Yes, I went looking for that when I missed last time only to be left hanging. I thought it was part of the dilution tool.

Back