• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Questions about tool and mashing

repomanz

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm somewhat new to beersmith and very new to all grain brewing.  I am trying to ensure i have everything setup properly.  Attached is Jester Kings Wytchmaker Rye IPA clone. 

my AG equipment: I have 2 15 gallon SS keggles and a 10 gallon home depot cooler for my mash tun.

My questions:

1) I don't see how I can distinguish between my 15.5 gallon keggles (MLT and Boil) and my 10 Gallon mash tun within the equipment profile.  I looked at examples and saw the default 18.5 with 9.5 cooler. I used this and modified it specifically for my mash tun.

2) I've read through the help / mash articles but i'm not quite clear on what mash profile i should use.  For my first attempt at this I plan on batch sparging.  I see a lot of single infusion, xxx, batch but if I plan to mash in,  lauter, drop first runnings into the keggle and repeat.  I believe this this is 2 steps right?    What specific profile should I choose to reflect this process under my mash profile?  single infusion, medium body, batch?

3) The next question is about the brew steps process.  The snippet below is an export from my brew step export

>>>>>
name:              description:                                  step temp  time
mash in            Add 13.95 qt of water at 160.1 F    150.0 F        60 min
Batch sparge with 2 steps (1.70gal, 4.00gal) of 168.0 F water

<<<<<

I don't understand the steps above here.  Hopefully someone can explain what this means.  I need to mash at 150F per the info I have.

4) when I edit things like mash profiles within a recipe does this mean i'm modifying the profile itself or the iteration within the recipe?

5) Where do i modify the fermentation temperature? And, does that information change other information about the beer?

6) Should my water volume added to the recipe match the total required water for the recipe?

thanks for the help!

Attachments

• wytchmaker-rye-ipa.bsmx
    25 KB · Views: 212
1. I think what you did will work, athough I'd consider using Satinless kegs profile and use the two kegs for the mash tun (add insulation) and the Boil pot.  The cooler could be used as a HLT.
2.Choose light, medium or full body beer sytle then use single infusion xxx body batch sparge. 
3.The temperatues are hotter than targeted to account for heat up the grain and the mash tun.  Use 160 F water to get 150 F mash. Measure the temp the first time - you may need to adjust this a bit.
4.You are setting the profile for the recipe you are using.
5.ou can do it under the profiles/fermentation tab or in the recipe with the fermentation menu (at the bottom of the recipe)
6.Water volume should be the sum of recipe vol+boil off vol+mash tun vol loss.  These depend on your equipment and boil off rate so may need some adjusting with experience.

Back