• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Corn sugar

Lawdawg05023

Apprentice
Reaction score
Just started brewing with Beersmith, was doing it all by hand before and the program was a real eye opener for me. It calculated things I didn't know you had to calculate! But anyway, the one thing I found a little suspect was the carbonation calc. My brother and I just finished bottling this Belgium Tripel this weekend, and the carbonation calc called for only 3.62 oz of corn sugar. Is that right? When I first started everyone told me to use 5 oz. for 5 gallons. Which I did and got beer that was WAY to fizzy and becoming frusterated. So for the last 5 batches I have been using 4.5 which worked "ok," is 3.62 enough. And is that 3.62 a default or does it adjust itself, or do I adjust it. Keep in mind my brother (Semper Fi bro) is the computer nerd, I am a computer ratard. I'd look to him for guidance out of computer ratardom but he busy right now.

Can I has help?
Lawdawg

"Sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand."

No, not enough.  You need to look and see what the carbonation range is for that style and enter carb level to a value within that range.  THis i nformation is on the Recipe Design tab.  Belgian Tripel's have a carb range of 2.4-3.0 volumes.  That equates to 4.12-5.74 oz of corn sugar.

What happened is that BS defaults the carb level to something not in the range for that style.

Mark

Back