• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Batch Sparge question?

jjocsak

Brewer
Reaction score
I batch sparge and was wondering if there was a way to create a mash profile to show my water additions in the way I work?

Example: I batch sparge with 2 equal water additions. My next recipe will contain 12.40 Lbs. of grain. The program figured the correct amount of strike water as 15.5 quarts (1.25 qts per lb.) and the rest of the sparge water as 4.61 gallons which is correct. But I want equal runoffs so I add the additional sparge water 1.11 gallons to the mash to get a 3.5 gallon initial runoff (after grain absorbsion). Then I add the remaining 3.5 gallons of sparge water to get the second 3.5 gallon runoff, this will give me my 7.00 to go into the kettle. Is there a way to add that 1.11 gallon addition as a step in a mash profile?

I walked through your example.  The closest I could come was to check the "Sparge using equal size batches" option in the Mash Profile details.  It still does not match your procedure exactly, but it is close.

Cheers!
Brad

Brad,

This would be a good addition to the batch sparge utilities.  Mathematically, as you are aware, batch sparging is essentially a dilution calculation.  This solution, equal size batches, yields the highest effeciency.

Fred

Back