• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

stumped

Simie

Brewer
Reaction score
Hi all,

???I made my keezer from a new freezer and put in 3 inch shanks and perlick faucets. I have 10 feet of 3/16 inch hose coiled and on top of each keg, my first beer is still 3/4 foam? I don't crank and shake, I just hook up and let carbonate at about 10 - 12 psi. ?What is going on here? I'm stumped? From what I've read I should be getting a perfect pour??? thanks simie

Ive been getting ready to set up my system and from what Ive been reading it says to dispense at around half of what your pressure is currently at(5-6 psi). My buddy dispenses his at a low psi with great results. He keeps a cornie of homebrew and a sanke of Sierra Nevada on tap at all times :)  Good luck!

Not sure... I also have the same perlick tap setup and 5 ft 3/16 beerline, 10 psi.  Results in right carbination with no excess foam.  Possibly your regulator is not really at 10-12?

Dissolved volumes is determined by temp and psi. You didn't mention the temp. If you've got it really cold 10 - 12 psi could overcarbonate the brew causing the foam.

I know my buddies is really cold like below 38*F I checked it tonight. I tried to check the pressure for you but he had the reg turned off cause he had an over carbonation problem too :-\

A good place to start is this quote from the Draught Beer Quality Manual:

Figuring ideal gauge pressure of straight CO2 when carbonation level is not known:
1. Set the regulator pressure to 5 psi.
2. Tap a fresh keg. Make sure the keg has been in the cooler long enough to be at the cooler temperature.
3. Pour a small amount of beer through the faucet.
4. Observe the beer in the draught line directly above the keg coupler (with a flashlight if necessary), inspecting for
bubbles rising up from the beer in the keg.
5. If bubbles are present, raise the regulator pressure 1 psi.
6. Repeat steps 3 - 5 until no bubbles are present.
This is the lowest pressure at which the gas in the beer is not escaping. This is your ideal gauge pressure.

Hi gents, I tried adding a 3.5 foot hose to one of my kegs and wallah, a perfect pour. I also put on a 5 foot hose and it burps a little foam followed by beer and foam but quite acceptable. I think I will give this a good sampling of a week or two and then shorten the 5 footer to 4, then 3.5, then 3 if need be. Seems one of my previous lines was a 1/4 inch line at 4 feet and foam city.....go figure. So on a normal keezer like mine I would suggest start at 5 and go from there. thanks all for all of the advice and good luck to your future brews...Simie.....Also I saw the movie "Locally Buzzed" this weekend and it was a cute movie. One I would've made thirty years ago when I was in my mid twenties..... See Ya....Simie

Back