• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Dumb Question

Lawdawg05023

Apprentice
Reaction score
Dumb question here, but do I have to adjust anything in my recipes, equipment profile, etc. Since I live a mile above sea level water boils here at 200 not 212, or does it make a diff?

Thanks Lawdawg. ???

I have never made any recipe adjustments perse..... but have noticed decoction batches are a little off. I am at appx 3K' MSL. Good question. I'll think that one through.................

I brew at 6250 ft. elevation and have no specific adjustments for altitude.

Recognize that boiling temp is only 200 degrees but that shouldn't affect boil time.

I found that because it is so arid in Colorado, that my evaporation rates were higher than the default.  I usually use 16%.

Hi,
  The only thing it will affect is decoction - which is why the decoction tools have a boil temperature.  However for decoction you need to measure the boil temp anyways since water boils at a higher temp when it has the mash mixed in.

Other than that you may have higher evaporation rates but again its best to measure your boil off a few times to get an accurate picture.

Brad

I was fortunate to speak to Matt Luhr (former brewmaster, Dillon Dam Brewery ~9100') before his untimely passing about what changed in his brewing. He just increased his boil times to get projected hop utilization. I brewed at 7200' and usually did a 90 minute kettle hop boil. You will have to take into account a higher boil off rate.

Papazian is from Boulder or somewhere in Colorado if I'm not mistaken.  I'm sure he's written on the subject.

Back