• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

weird film in bottles

The Drizzle

Apprentice
Reaction score
i brewed a blonde ale a few weeks ago and bottled recently. i pulled out a bottle last weekend to check it out and noticed there was a strange film on the surface of the beer. i checked multiple bottles and they all had the same thing, not really sure if its just some yeast that didn't settle out or if its something i should be concerned about. haven't tasted it but it has been warm in my apartment and i don't really have a good way to regulate the temp while fermenting or bottle conditioning, not sure if the warm weather would have anything to do with it. any ideas? should i dump it?

I would try the beer. Their is no known pathogen that can survive in beer. So you are probably safe? It may taste bad and if so dump it! The floating substance may be a sign of infection? I hope for your sake it is not!

Could be hop oils or fusel alcohols brought to the surface by the carbonation.  You will know when you taste it.  I have seen it before and not be a problem.

Back