• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

small batches

Hose

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I'm a new guy learning how to brew. Completed three, 5 gallon extract batches so far. As much as I enjoy the beer, the process of brewing is just as enjoyable. To be able to brew smaller batches, say two gallons, more often, and experimenting with different beers would be great. Will the ingredient quantities be accurate if I resize the recipe down to two gallons. If so, which equipment pot size would you suggest? Thanks.

When scaling recipes it helps to keep an eye on the BU:GU ratio.  There is a handy BS Blog post on this http://www.beersmith.com/blog/2009/09/26/balancing-your-beer-with-the-bitterness-ratio/

As for equipment, you only something big enough to hold everything and not spill over.  I dedicate my brewing equipment to brewing so I don't risk carrying food flavors into my beer.  Probably unnecessary but a 8 gallon pot was pretty cheap and I don't have to worry about sharing.

- Joe

Back