• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

brewlog

Johncmug

Apprentice
Reaction score
Sorry for the simpleton question.. but I'm trying to get a handle on how exactly the 'brewlog' is supposed to work.  I see there is an advanced option  for the brew log name and its set to 'Brew Log'.  What I end up doing it creating a new recipie in the 'My Recipies' folder; Save it, then copy it and paste it into the 'Brew Log' folder.  Then everytime I make this recipie again, I copy it and paste it into the 'Brew Log' folder again and update the details (date, notes and anything different).

How is the Brew Log intended to be used?  Seems like I have a lot of manual stuff going on...

Thanks in advance!

Everyone probably has a different answer for you.  Some may not use the log at all and just add notes to the recipes each time they brew.  The most useful part of the log for some is that you can set it up so only those recipes in the log show in the calendar.  Again a personal preference as it seems some really like the calendar and some don't have much use for it.  The original idea I think was to have a record of each brew with its own notes, dates, volumes and other details without cluttering one recipe file and still maintain the original recipe.  Another option now available in 2.0 is to make a copy of a recipe in the same file as the original and advance the version number, this way you can have different versions of the same recipe in the same folder for easy reference.  Everyone probably has their own personal way of organizing their recipes, archiving brewed recipes, tagging future possibilities, and any other possible way to categorize your brewing activities and thoughts.

I've probably moved things around changed folders and things about 3 or 4 times in the last 2 years and now that version 2 is here, I'm rethinking my folder organization again. 

You don't need to copy and paste to the brew log, just highlight your recipe and click the copy to log button.

This probably isn't much help, but it seems like you have to find your own way with the folders as everyone will have a different approach.

Happy Brewing,
Neal

I appreciate the explanation.  Right now I only have two folders, but I think I'm due for some re-organization.  I totally missed the 'Copy To Log'  button.. that will certainly help!  Thanks!

I am running BeerSmith 2 and have been unable to find the "Copy to Log" button. The documentation is not much help. Where is this thing hiding?

Hi,
  Its on the big ribbon (Home Ribbon) when you are in My Recipes view - it is right between the "Add Folder" icon and the "Scale Recipe" icon.

Brad

Thanks. Of course, I found it about 5 minutes after I made this post.

Back