• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Arrogant Bastard Extract recipe IBUs

Lars

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a novice brewer. I'm thinking of doing this extract recipe at this link for an AB clone
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/arrogant-bastard-clone-71867/index16.html
Problem is, when I enter this recipe into beersmith my IBUs end up at 87.4 whereas the link calculates it at 65. Only difference I can see is that I do a full boil (in my 33litre plastic bucket with element). Is this the problem and how do I resolve it ??

Thanks!

L

Yeah the full boil will affect it and boost your IBUs. This is an extract recipe and isnt meant to be a full boil. When you dont do a full boil your hop utilization goes down big time. I played with the recipe and adjusted the hops to half and ounce for the first two additions. It should get you close. Heres the recipe reworked for what you should need.

Attachments

• arrogant ale.bsmx
    24.1 KB · Views: 667
Thanks v much maddspoiler. Much appreciated. Is a full boil actually a bad thing to do for extract brewing? I do it for convenience. Means I don't have to boil and cool water the day before brewday

A full boil is actually very beneficial to your beer even in extract brewing. Its one of the simplest things you can do to make better beer. Also youll use less hops in a full boil because your utilization is higher. It might save you an ounce of hops on an IPA. Good Luck.

Hi Maddspoiler, another question for you! I notice you have 2 vials of yeast in that? Why is that? What difference does it make? Is it like making a yeast starter? I recently made an Irish red using my first liquid yeast. It didnt ferment particularly vigorously which surprised me but it did ferment out fully as indicated by my FG. I pitched it directly at room temp into wort at about 23degC. I even lost some as it spewed out of the vial when I opened it from shaking, surprising me. I'm pretty sure it said on the vial that it could be pitched without a starter(which I thought was the whole point of liquid yeasts)?

Thanks

L

Yeah its just something I do. I use a starter too. I didnt have a stir plate untill now so adding 2 packs just made sure I was pitching enough yeast. Pitching the right amount of yeast will effect how clean the beer tastes. This is one of the most important but OVERLOOKED parts of home brewing... Amount of yeast and fermentation temps. BTW I just made my stir plate (http://www.byo.com/stories/projects-and-equipment/article/indices/20-build-it-yourself/401-build-your-own-stir-plate) so Ill be using 1 pack in my starter unless its a lager from now on. Either way a vial of whitelabs is enough to ferment a batch with. I have had good results many brews that way. I just take it as far as I can go. Listen to Brewstrong on The Brewing Network (http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/) this is where Ive learned most of the good stuff about brewing. Also the Jamil Show is awesome for clone recipes. They even have an Arrogant Bastard Clone Recipe on there. Good Luck

Back