• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Batch size always ends up short

gbm

Apprentice
Reaction score
BIAB  Just a simple question for those in the know.  I am talking about, when the receipt calls for 5.68 gal. batch size is that the amount to boil or is that the amount that goes into my primary container.  It seems like I am always coming up short the amount that goes into my primary container.  I have been adding more to the boil to keep it a five gallons by the end of the boil so after it cools down I have five gallons in my primary, but when I bottle I still only end of with just a little over four gallons to bottle, is the  normal.

Thanks for your help

Batch Size is how much you put into the fermenter. If you want to end @ 5 gallons I would use 5.5 gallons or even 6 gallons as the batch size. You can lose .5 to 1 gallon in you fermenter. Plus if you leave more in the fermenter at bottling your beer might be clearer. GoodLuck

Back