• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

My First Hefeweiss

Violator

Apprentice
Reaction score
Attached is my bsmx of my first all grain hefewiess. I would appreciate any feedback. I have been Kit brewing for about 5 years. Made some great beer and some not...well just ok beers. I am not even sure if my measurements are even correct, but like I said feedback is welcome! Thanks and happy brewing!

Attachments

• Paul's First Hefeweiss.bsmx
    17.4 KB · Views: 240
Looks pretty good.  You may want to increase the 2-row or decrease the wheat malt otherwise the mash will get pretty sticky.  I'd add a handful of rice hulls to aid in lautering.  You still need to update your mash schedule.  I would also delete the Irish moss since you don't really need/want clarifiers for a Hefe. 

Your boil off % is only 8.3 so may want to increase that a bit.  I adjust my numbers so I bottle at least 5 gallons of beer.

Mark

Yeah, this was my first time poking around with the software. I think I have a small grasp on the basics. At first it was calling for 28lb of the wheat for a 5 gallon batch, I nearly freaked out. The basic amount looks ok?

Yep, definitely will work.  Here's my Hefe.

Mark

Attachments

• Mark's Hefe.bsmx
    16.7 KB · Views: 264
That looks pretty nice. What does the Fermcap do? Nice choice in hops too!

Thanks!

The fermcap prevents messy boil overs.  I can get an agressive boil and no boil overs at all.  I use 2 drops per gallon. Your local home brew shop should have it.

Mark

Ahh, that makes sense. Especially after the hops are added!

Back