• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Tips on Brewing a Very Dark IPA with little roastiness

Tchamberlin

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have tasted several dark IPAs ( Otter creek Apline, Clowshoes HoppyFeat, ect) and I still think those beers are too roasty- sort of a hoppy stout. I want to brew a borderline hop bomb( with wet Citra) that is only midly roasty. Any thoughts?  I am thinking that Carafa II would be the best specialty grain but I am open to ANY suggestion.

Thanks All ;D

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/brewing-ingredients/grain-malts/toasted-roasted-malts/weyermann-dehusked-carafa-ii.html

For this use, you'd want the dehusked version.  It's tumbled to remove a lot of the husk. 

Maltlicker( nice name)- what percentage of the grain bill would you recommend for this? I would am brewing a 5 gall extract brew.  Thanks,

See if you can find carmelized beet sugar syrup. Williams brewing is putting out a kit that uses it for a Belgian Strong Dark with dark coloration and no roasted malt. A cursory google search for it found several jars available for sale from vendors like amazon.

Definitely go with the Carafa II. In a 5 gal. extract brew, I used about a pound and that worked really well for me. In addition, I used Belgian Specialty coffee grain to get a little bit more roast flavor as well. Of course, you just have to make sure that you use plenty of hops to equal/ offset the malt. My total IBU was 88.

Tchamberlin said:
Maltlicker( nice name)- what percentage of the grain bill would you recommend for this? I would am brewing a 5 gall extract brew.  Thanks,

I'd use BeerSmith to figure out the SRM for me.  Depends on the other grains used obviously and your target darkness. 

Style-wise, it's a black IPA and not a roasty IPA, but your preferences will drive the flavor to your liking.  Let us know how it went.

Back