• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Calculating starting gravity in recipes

halean

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hey all,
So I'm trying to convert to Beersmith from Beer Alchemy from my Mac but I'm concerned about it's calculations.  I've just input a recipe for a Dunkelweizen with 12.8lbs (5.8kg) of grist and a pre boil volume of 9.3gal/35.3L.  At a brewhouse efficiency of 80%, it's informing me of a pre boil gravity of 1.050.  My grist is primarily 2 row, wheat and munich malt with some minor specialty grain.  Assuming then a rate of maximum 36 points per gallon, 100% efficiency is 1.050.  So why does it tell me my pre boil gravity is 1.050?  I'm confused. 

Beer Alchemy gives me a likely more accurate measure of 1.042.

Confused.... ???
???

Based on your numbers I show a est. gravity of 1.040.  (.8 * 36 * 12.8 / 9.3). 

Can you verify what BS is displaying for est. pre boil volume in your Water tab?  Also, check each grain and see what the points are.

Mark

Actually sorry typo below.  Brewhouse efficiency is 85% which is why Beer Alchemy gives me 1042.  Beer Smith has 35.29L and still states 1050 pre boil gravity.  Is there a way to see the points calculated by grain on BS?

Double click each grain in your recipe.  The points is under potential which is the maximum.  The way it should work is you take mash efficiency * potential * weight and divide by pre boil volume.  If you go to your mash tab what percentage is listed for "est. mash eff"?

Mark

Est mash efficiency on the mash tab is 105.2%.  Know why that would be?

It's due to the Loss and Trub and Chiller field in your equipment profile.  I set that to zero so that brewhouse and mash efficiency are the same.  Makes it easier and I no longer chase my tail.

Read this:  http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,5141.msg21417.html#msg21417

Mark

Ok great thanks.  Midnight in Australia so off to bed but will give it a go in the morning.  Thanks for the help!

Dereck

Hey mate just wanted to let you know that the Loss to Trub and Chiller number was throwing out my calcs.  I was too close to brewing so used Beer Alchemy on the brewday but am going to retroactively apply Beersmith to be sure all the numbers make sense before I buy it.

Thanks for the support!

Back