• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

freezer as beer chiller

faulkland

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of using my chest freezer as a temp rite? Connect it to a external thermostat and run the freezer at 0c half full of salty water with beer coming in and through 16m stainless tubing coil in the water then up through the lid to a tower and taps. Anyone done something similar or any reason this would not work? Just thinking of the beer in the line that is out of the water would freeze or not? 

Agree - its going to rust and then leak.  I suppose if you put a stainless steel tub inside the freezer it might work.

Rather that use salt to delay freezing, why not go with a 40%:60% water-glycol mix.  You can get a couple of gallons of the food-safe propylene glycol from your local pool supply store or the net.  It is less corrosive than the salt, which acts as an electrolyte. 

Then add an old corny keg or other container, so the freezer does not have to be water tight And you could be good to go.

This is a basic glycol chiller for the home gadget guy.  Check out other threads here (?) or on the net for more details.

You could use a Johnson/Ranco Controller to do the same thing. Maybe store your kegs in it and put the towers on top.

Back