• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Concept of Batch vs a Recipe?

ddeacon

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I am trying the demo version of BeerSmith2 and most stuff is pretty self explanatory but is there a concept of a batch vs a recipe? I have created a recipe and am following it through on a batch I am doing but I'm wondering about the next time I brew the same recipe so I have to copy it with a different name? I used to use Promash which had the concept of a recipe and a Session which is kind of what I was expecting here as well.

Thanks,
D

Hi,
I don't have a separate session concept.

What I recommend is to copy each version as you brew it to your brew log and then change the version number for the next session.  You will still have a copy of the "as brewed" version in your brew log folder.

Brad

I agree with ddeacon that there should be a "batch" field.  Version is for the recipe, not the batch you make with that recipe.  Even just a simple text field to enter a free form batch value after you copy the recipe to the brew log would be very much appreciated.  I keep track of my batches across recipes, so batch 1 might be a pale ale and batch 2 might be a porter.  Which is why I think a plain text field with no "smarts" tying it to a particular recipe would be best.

I do this by using the assistant brewer field to record batch number, I don't use that field anyway.
it would be nice to have a couple of user defined fields.

I use the version field only when i make a change to the recipe
if i had changed the recipe 3 times but brewed the recipe 5 times it would look like:
version 1.3
batch 005

I just switched to BeerSmith from SUDS. SUDS does have a batch concept which is quite handy in tracking past brews of a given recipe (easy to use also). The closest thing I have found in BeerSmith is the Brew Log -- which you can use to create similar functionality.

I too would like either a comprehensive batch feature, or at least a batch number I could record when I copy a recipe to the log.  Cheers!

Since version 1 this has been probably been my only complaint. 

I also find it annoying that I have to put a date in when i'm just storing my recipe. 

The concept of having a recipe versus actually brewing it are two separate things.

Add me to the list of people who would like this feature.  I just started using iBrewMaster as well and I found that feature on that app awesome.  I just came to the forums now to see how I could replicate that in BeerSmith.  I like to write out my recipes and generate my shopping lists in BS and import them on my phone so I have all the info handy when I'm brewing.

I hope this is considered in a future release.

Thanks!  I love the new BS 2.

Back