• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Sorted order of ingredients

fishbone

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm guessing this is already a feature, and I just haven't dug it up yet...

Something I always wanted to be able to do in 1.4 was sort the list of ingredients for a particular recipe in the order that the ingredients would be used (i.e. the grains listed first in order of weight, then the 60 minute addition of hops, then 30 min etc., then the whirlfloc at 15 etc. etc., yeast, with the dry hops listed last).  It seems more logical to have the ingredients listed in the order in which they're used.

Is this possible in 2.0?  Currently it is sorting by ingredient weight.  Even if I could manually click and drag ingredients around on the list, I could be happy.

In the recipe view, in the ingredients box, click on the column header marked "#".

Rusty Nails said:
In the recipe view, in the ingredients box, click on the column header marked "#".

*smacks forehead*

Not sure how I missed that, thanks for your help!

While this is a great feature, it seems limited (unless I'm missing something). I can't find any way to control which ingredient gets which number, or any way to change/edit the number that's been assigned to an item. As best I can tell, the numbers are assigned by what BeerSmith thinks is the correct order of the ingredients and I can't change it.

So while I can sort based on the number, if I can't control what ingredient gets what number, then I still can't arrange the items in the order in which I want to use them.

Please tell me I'm clueless and there is a way to control the number sort.

Scott

I think the logic is where the item falls in relation to the brewing process. Water prep items first then grain, then time of adjunct / hops, etc. I am just guessing though but I think that is the way it is figured.

Hi,
  The number is assigned in the order in which the ingredients are used.

I'm planning to add more flexibility in sorting ingredients in a future update as well.

Brad

BeerSmith said:
Hi,
  The number is assigned in the order in which the ingredients are used.
Brad

If that's so, then there still needs to be some user control allowed. I have a recipe where I add honey at 5 minutes before flame-out. But BeerSmith insists on sorting honey as the last ingredient, even after yeast. Adding the honey after I've pitched the yeast is most definitely not the order in which my ingredients are used.

Scott

sbbish said:
If that's so, then there still needs to be some user control allowed.

Agreed. I'm a virgin user (dl'ed last night) and spent way too much time trying to figure out how to re-order the hop schedule I entered. I wound up having to delete everything and re-enter the hops schedule. Grrr... Not being able to re-order the sequence numbers feels like a major oversight. I hope this is addressed within my 21 day trial - not sure I'll buy otherwise if it's going to be this finicky...

I would like to re-ask this question

In the second post the "answer" is to sort on the Column "#".  I don't have that column ! ! !
I have tried to used Customize Columns, but it is grayed out.

I'm using Version 2.0.45

David

Back