• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Applewine

Boogie

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm planning on doing a small batch of Ed Wort's Apfelwein.  I'm wondering how to add this recipe to BS.  The style is there, but I don't know how to add apple juice as an ingredient.

Cider is pretty straight forward.  But I want to make sure I'm not making it too alcoholic.

In beersmith 2, look at the top for some grey tabs. One of them is ingredients. Click ingredients>grain>add grain and enter in the pertinent information on your apple juice. Apple juice is usually from concentrate and loaded with sugar. You'll have to do the best you can in estimating the fermentable level.

I actually know how to "add" it to the ingredients.  I did a bad job of phrasing my question.  I think really what I am trying to figure out is how many gravity points apple juice gives.  I found this on another forum:
On the calorie information panel, you will find the grams of sugar per serving. Multiply the g sug/serv by the number of servings you add to the beer. Convert this to lbs (453 g per pound, i believe). Then just plug this into whatever calculator you use.
I'm going to give this a try and see how it goes.

Back