• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Version function on Recipe: Questions

Zoob

Apprentice
Reaction score
OK, pretty new to Beersmith and coming over from Promash world...So I can say that I am happy with the upgrade.
OK but after I design a recipe and brew it, now I want to come back and change some ingredients or what have you, I thought by going to the version field I could edit the version number, then click "OK" and BeerSmith would then save both of my recipes, the original and the edited. This does not appear to be the case.

Can someone correct me or point me in the right direction here? I guess I could always make a copy of the original recipe and edit the copy and rename... but then what good is the version function? Maybe this is just to keep count of how many time one brews a certain recipe???

Hope to hear  from the masses
Zoob

I just copy and paste the recipe to be changed into the same folder, open one of them, make the changes required, change the version number and save, then what you need to do is add the "Version" column into the recipe display view by going to "view" then "Customize Cols" and adding the "version field.
Now you can see the version number of each recipe like this.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 573
Ah. I see, it would be nice if it was automated, butI can make this work. Setting up the customized columns is a nice feature too.
thanks
Zoob :)

This prompted me to try it.  Call me simple-minded, but I just copy/paste and add a "v2" to the recipe name so I can see at a glance I've brewed that one before. 

I also start all names with the style number so I can sort on name to find my prior attempts at a style quickly.  This way, all attempts at this style will sort together.

08 ESB
08 ESB v2
08 ESB v3
09 Scottish 80/-

and so on.

Hi,
  Near the top of my "to-do" list is adding a feature that prompts you when you change the version number - the idea being that if you change the version number and try to save the recipe the program will ask if you want to save "Bubba's beer" as "Bubba's Beer 1.2" for example.

I'm hoping to get this into the September update of the software.

Brad

BeerSmith said:
Hi,
  Near the top of my "to-do" list is adding a feature that prompts you when you change the version number - the idea being that if you change the version number and try to save the recipe the program will ask if you want to save "Bubba's beer" as "Bubba's Beer 1.2" for example.

I'm hoping to get this into the September update of the software.

Brad

Did anything ever happen with this? Its a bit annoying having the version function, but it basically doing nothing as when you save it over writes the previous version.

charliwest said:
Did anything ever happen with this? Its a bit annoying having the version function, but it basically doing nothing as when you save it over writes the previous version.

It literally takes just an instant to highlight the file - hit Ctl+C to copy. Then Ctl+V to paste it. Then make your changes to the copy and change the version number before you save it.

MaltLicker said:
This prompted me to try it.  Call me simple-minded, but I just copy/paste and add a "v2" to the recipe name so I can see at a glance I've brewed that one before. 

Just click on "Save: and then on "Save As".  You'll find both of them in "My Recipes" or wherever you had the original filed. Rename and edit one of them and you're set.

Back