• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Est OG not affected by adding top up water

iky0

New Forum Member
Reaction score
The estimated original gravity in my recipie is not being updated when i add top up water to the preboil wort. Since this is a fixed batch size (5 gallons post boil) I confirmed that the est preboil volume is the same with and without the kettle top up. As a result, an increase in top up means a decrease in sparge (which i confirmed is happening in the recipie). I would think that by replacing sparge water with pure water, the OG should decrease. Am i incorrect in my assumptions?

Makes sense.  However, I posted wanting to know why the OG doesn't change when I increase the boil length.  The answer I got was that it will not change the OG in BS, even though we all know that a longer boil will increase gravity.  So I was either given wrong information, or there is a fundamental flaw in the software IMO.

After some more thought, I think that BS is working as designed.  It's likely set to determine starting volumes based on OG, not the other way around.  You may have to use some of the additional tools to figure out your needs.  There is apparently no way to get BS to modify the OG based on boil length or preboil volume, only the other way round.

Back