• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BIAB vs. using a mash tun

The Drizzle

Apprentice
Reaction score
I recently made the jump to all-grain brewing. My first batch was a BIAB rye ale. Everything went pretty well, it was easier than I thought it would be. But I'm curious as to wether using an actual mash tun would get better extraction of sugars or if its all the same no matter what method I choose for mashing? BIAB saves on the amount of equipment I have to get, I live in an apartment so the amount of space I have for brewing equipment is limited. I'm sure I could make room for a mash tun if thats the better way to go.

What extraction eff. are you getting?  I get around 72-75% with my mash tun and batch sparge - I think that's pretty typical.  75-80 is doable with fly sparging.

I would defer to a member with the handle 'BobBrews' for that one.  If he doesn't post soon (which would be unusual) I would suggest you look him up and send him a message.

Back