• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Use for beginner

R

Robert

I'm a new beginner/brewer. My brew shop currently has me using a combination of cans/kit and added ingredients. How do I add this information when I'm not provided the color SRM, potential SG etc. I like the program to try and recreate beers  I've made but I'm not sure I'm using it's full potential.

Thanks,
Robert

Robert,
 In many cases you can use the "Generic" extracts that are included with BeerSmith.  For example, a can of light ale extract would probably be equivalent to a "Pale Liquid Extract" or perhaps a "Pilsner liquid extract".  

The potentials of most liquid extracts are around 1.034-1.036.  The potential of most dry extracts are around 1.044.  Color for most extracts is adound 7.0SRM for a pale, 12 SRM for a amber and 17-18 SRM for a dark.  Stout extract can be darker - perhaps in the 20's or 30's.

You might want to ask the shop what "other ingredients" they are using.  For example, in most cases they can tell you what kind of hops they are using (unless the extract is hopped).

Finally, if you are using commercial kits or ingredients then in some cases you can get the information from their web site.

Cheers!
Brad

Brad,

I was not signed on last night. Thanks for the info. I'll give your suggestions a try. I'm still learning what's what, but it has been enjoyable. For example, I'm making a Mexican Cerveza from a can by Brewmart. I can't figure out what category this is. I looked for a Mexican beer in the style drop down. But I'm learning. The brewshop I use does provide me most of the info except for the can, i.e. hops, yeast, extra malts.

Thanks for the help.
Robert

Check out the "beer styles" dropdown.  See 1B., and Yeast WLP940.

I've brewed four Mexican (Corona Clones)...  2 AG, and two from kits.

three used Hallertauer hops for bitterness & aroma, one (kit) used Saaz for aroma.

All turned out good! :)

Back