• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Is brass OK to use in mash tun?

The Drizzle

Apprentice
Reaction score
i keep seeing mash tun build how-tos on the web and they say to use brass fittings and ball valve but then i read peoples comments and they say not to use brass cuz it contains small amounts of lead. i'm trying to build a mash tun now using cpvc and the best fittings i can find to go in the spigot hole and ball valve are brass. is brass ok or will it kill me? kinda confused...are there any materials i should absolutely stay away from?

Brass is fine.  The dull brass stuff we use has very low lead content and it does not leach.  If if did, yeast metabolize lead in small quantities.  Yeast metabolize many metals which are needed for proper yeast nutrition.  All water except RO usually has plenty for yeast.

I have seen a log of brass used in homebrewing.  In commercial, stainless steel is used because of the clean in place caustic chemicals would pit and etch into the softer brass.

- Joe

Lead is added to brass plumbing fixtures to make them easier to machine - usually 1-2%.  Most of it is tied up inside the metal; the only lead available to get into your wort is at the surface.  The amount of exposure you will get is almost negligible, but if you are really concerned about it, soak your brass parts in a dilute solution of muriatic or phosphoric acid for a hour the first time you use them.  It will dissolve most or all of the lead on the surface.

Back