• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Batch Sparge Round 1

G

gblass1

I just picked a mash profile
"Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge"
and the brew sheet has a
Batch Sparge Round 1: 1.69 gal  
Batch Sparge Round 2: 3.61 gal  
Batch Sparge Round 3: .53 gal

I thought the purpose of a batch sparge was to keep it simple.  Doing 3 batch sparges like this will take longer than my fly sparge.  Am I missing somthing ?  Should I just do one batch sparge with the the combined water from the three batch sparges ?

Thanks in advance
George

George,
 It is limited by:
  - The size of your mash tun
   - The amount of grain in your mash tun

If you have a lot of grain in a relatively small mash tun it will result in lots of batch steps.  If you have a big mash tun, you can do it all in one step.

Check your mash tun volume in the equipment profile to make sure it is accurate - this should help to correct this problem.

Cheers!
Brad

Do you know if you get better eff. with more steps or less?

I now have 10gal MLT and could do it one step but have not tried it yet.

Don

Batch Sparging is basicly a dilution problem,  The best efficiency from batch sparging comes from equal size batches or drainings from the mash tun.

Also the more steps the higher the efficiency.

Fred

Not necessary to do three steps if your mash tun is big enough.  I take the total amount of water needed to get my pre boil volume after the initial runoff and divide by two.  I also restir the mash (except for the bottom inch or two of the grainbed) with the addition of the last charge of sparge water just in case there was any channeling.

Back