• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

OK to use silicone sealant in mash tun?

The Drizzle

Apprentice
Reaction score
i just finished building my first mash tun and i was thinking about putting some silicone caulking around the rubber washer on the inside of the cooler just to be sure its nice and sealed. the tube i have at home says its okay to come in contact with food as long as its fully cured. i filled it with water and let it drain and there were no leaks but i thought the silicone would give me extra peace of mind. just curious if the hot mash would deteriorate the sealant or if the silicone all together would harm the wort?...thanks for any help.

I wouldn't. If it's not leaking, why fix it? Also, you'll find that you may want to remove the valve from time to time for cleaning.
If you insist, I would put a small bead of the sealant in a container, let it cure, and add water at mash temp to see what happens.

Im using a 5 gallon gott for lower gravity beers and a 10 gallon for moderate to high gravity beers. I used the washer, nut and seals from both on a brass valve. I disassemble them periodically for cleaning and have detected no leaks. The thing to remember is that the washer will expand slightly when heated to mash temps~sealing the connection nice and tight. Like Rusty said if it aint broke why fix it?

If you need a seal, find a neoprene washer the correct size.  You would need food grade sealant rated for 200F temps otherwise.

Back