• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Sparge "infusion" temp, and total BTU's

MikeYoung

Apprentice
Reaction score
I just started poking around in BS2 and, inspired by the recipe scaling feature, would like to experiment with mini-keg size batches using minimal equipment. The challenge is to do this with a single 8k BTU/hr burner, 5 gal. kettle (HLT and BK), and double infusion in a 3 gal. cooler mash tun. The real challenge is the small burner for, of all things, the sparge water. All the other numbers look great, even if surprisingly close to capacity.

For sparge, 10 minutes after starting mashout with 210 deg. infusion water, I need to end up with 1.5 gal. of 168 deg water. A quick spin on the calculator says I need 7500 BTU/hr to heat 13 lbs of water in 10 minutes from room temperature. That's uncomfortably close to the burner's capacity. It doesn't have a chance with cold water straight from the tap.

My question is, how much 210 deg water from the mashout step do I need to carry forward to end with 1.5 gal sparge water by adding xx deg cold water. (And can we get BeerSmith to print this number for me?)

Also, it would be nice to know what boil off rate I can hit with the small burner. Is it just the latent heat of vaporization for water (971 BTU/lb)? Or does the gravity of the wort change this significantly?

Last, it would great if BS could print the total BTUs needed. I sure would hate to start out with only 1 lb of propane left, only to find I really needed 1.2 lbs. ;)

Thanks.
Mike.

Back