• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Off flavor

shawnjacobs

Apprentice
Reaction score
I've made over 30 5 gallon batches from light ales to porters.  The few that I've made that I did not care for all had the same off flavor to them.  They had a faint copper like flavor.  I think my sanitation is pretty good.  I feel that I would attribute the tast to high fermentation temp.  Sometimes I've had to deal with mid to upper 70s.  Thoughts?

All of the worst beers I made were in the summer. Do you keep notes including dates for your thirty odd brews? You might see a trend.
When primary fermentation gets above 70 it can produce off flavors.
As a result I don't start beers from June/July through August/September because I cannot keep primary fermentation below 70. 
My basement is starting to settle near 70. Once it gets down to 65 I'll consider starting a batch (65 because primary fermentation causes the temp to rise 3-5 degrees above ambient and I don't want it to exceed 70).

Hope that helps.

do you use aluminum?  Keep it all shiny and new looking?  That can contribute to metalic flavors.  Excess iron can too.  Be sure nothing iron is in contact with the wort.    You should filter you water with a good quality filter.  You water may have high iron levels. 

Back