• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash Profiles

Ramman

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I'm a new Beersmith user (2.0) and I've reviewed the tutorials and forum threads and user guide but I'm still confused on the mash profile steps and results BS gives me in the brew steps.  I want to batch sparge (1 from initial mash full drain, 1 from sparge). I'm using a SS kettle for the MLT.  Question is; what profile should I use and what Batch Sparge Options do I select?  Thanks.

I copy a profile for equipment and one for mash that is similar and tweak it until it tells me what I want, how I want to see it.    The software is a generalization that is pretty close but you need to customize it to suit your needs.

My process sounds the same as yours.  I strike with some volume, drain the mash tun completely, then add my sparge water, drain it again and that is it.

I use a single infusion mash of 60 minutes in a 10 gallon modified Gott cooler
usually a full body mash at 156 degrees with 1.25 to 1.30 ltr. per pound of grain.
Recirculate mash at one hour till wort runs clear.
I use a 5 gallon Gott with lid for accurate sparge temp.
Tube with sprinkler metered on to small ceramic disk which disperses evenly and does not disturb grain bed.
Always keeping grain bed wet with 1\4 to 1\2 inch of Sparge water.
Sparged wort should be very slowly drawn off.
Sparge at 170 for one hour,never let your grain bed go dry I use a converted keg for kettle
I need 7.43 gallons for boil usually always 60 minutes.
Ferment in plastic with spigots, secondary in plastic with spigots, airate with a paint paddle and an electric drill.
Always use a starter of between.50 and 1.25 Ltr. yeast or cake off fresh batch and always use a stir plate usually run 2 starters at a time
since I brew 2 batches at a session always all grain don't be leary of all grain once you see the control you have you won't
do it any other way, the proof is in the pudding.
I always end up with 5 gallons kegged and force carbonated.
I cut off about 3/4 of an inch on my dip tubes in my Cornelius Kegs this has greatly improved the clarity of the beer
I dispense and I waste very little now.
I find this to be preferable to clearing agents.
Beer Smith is highly accurate if setup properly for your equipment and proper practices are followed.
I am getting anywhere from 70 to 75 percent efficiency. Strike temps are accurate and I always hit my gravities.
Beer Smith is an excellent product but spend sometime and learn how to use it properly for me it is an indispensable tool.
The new version is well worth the investment and Brad is accessible and highly supportive of his program.

Back