• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Did not add enough water to fermenter

eod6971

Apprentice
Reaction score
Not sure what I was thinking or doing, but I went to move an extract brew of a rye IPA and I did not add enough water (4 Gal total not 5) to the fermenter. I am pretty new at this and did not take an OG reading. Today when I moved my beer to my secondary fermenter my reading was 1.02, it is supposed to be 1.066. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks,

you didnt take any readings? you could have started at 1.040 and be ok .or at 1.066 and your highly alcoholic and dry.taste it .blend it with another or dilute you have options,hard to say what to do .what was the grain bill,effiency avg,yeast,mash temp,hop schedule etc,  relax have a homebrew and taste it then go from there.

if you are new to this perhaps you were at the right post boil gravity and now after fermentation you are at 1.002 very possible too all may be well if your fundamentals are good .,,,,but remember to take readings preboil/post boil and final.

Thanks, for the help. It actually has a very good taste. I thought about putting another gallon of water in the secondary fermenter I am using to condition the beer, but it has stopped fermenting. So I guess I am stuck with what it is. The guys I took a brewing class from said he never takes a reading and through reading online and books it seems to be something that is a preference. Now I know the importance of taking readings all the time. I am not stressed over it, and I have already has a traditional stout I finished a few weeks ago. I am hoping to pick up a couple of kegs and start whole grain brewing in the next few months.

Thanks again,

Back