• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Getting OG with predetermines Preboil gravity

Homercidal

Apprentice
Reaction score
Ok, I'm going to be getting some WORT from someone with a predetermined gravity.  I have been trying to get BS2 to come up with the final volume and OG but the OG doesn't change.  What to do?

I enter an extract recipe with enough extract to set the preboil gravity, then adjust the boil length in an attempt to get OG, but nothing changes.  I can use the boil-off tool, but that doesn't help me on the main page with showing the information on the bath, like estimated volume etc.  Should it do that?  I can fudge the brewday just fine, just expected BS2 to be able to come up with the numbers automatically.

-Jim

IBU's should change, total water, est pre boil gravity, etc.  OG will not however.

Mark

Why not?  Isn't this the kind of stuff I bought BS to do for me?  If it knows the pre-boil gravity and volume, and I enter a boil length, it seems like it should easily be able to deduce the OG and other information from that.  How does it determine OG from pre-boil gravity if it doesn't take the boil length into account?

I think I see what's going on.  BS is set to provide you with the starting volumes based on your recipe and desired OG.  Apparenlty it's not designed to change the OG with changes to boil length.  It instead changes the starting volume to reach that desired OG.

Normally, this is what I would want.  However, this time I have no control over pre-boil volume or gravity.  I guess I'll have to use the boil-off tool to fudge the OG this time.

Back