• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Kegging

ECarroll

Brewer
Reaction score
Hi all

going to keg for the 1st time this weekend, have a queston I am not sure off?

The beer is going to be a Zwieckel Pils, and planing on setting the co2 meter to about 0.87 Bar and leave in my Beer fridge about 2-3 weeks is that OK, or I'm i missing something?

.87 must be about 12 PSI on my scale.  So, yes, this will be fine assuming about 40F or 5C assuming your wand about 2.4 volumes of CO2.  It will take about a week to carbonate.  Agitating periodically will get  the CO2 into solution quicker.

To speed up the process, you can over pressure at 2 - 2.4 bars or 30 - 35 PSI at 40F/5C for a couple days.  Agitating speeds this as well.  I find the CO2 bubble are more coarse and burning this way though.  I always force carbonate for 2 days then close the valve for a day then drop the pressure to 11.2 or 12 PSI or .75 - .82 bars for a couple more.

I start sampling after the second day but honestly, the beer needs a good week to settle in the cold keezer and absorb the CO2 and make finer, happier bubbles and clearer tastier beer.

Thanks a lot y'all for the info, i guess i was on the right track. I also want to Mature this beer a little so Forced Carbonation is not good or? Here in Germany one has to be on ones pins and toes when it comes to beer.

Forced carbonation is fine.  I just like it better when it is dissolved more evenly and the CO2 bubbles are finer.

What does "pins and toes" mean?

Back