• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

New to brewing, certainly not drinking

peterson82

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have wanted to start brewing for a long time, and was waiting for my own house to start. Unfortunately, that won't be happening for a while (DC area is expensive!), so I bought a 5G kit and started it up! I am on my third brew... haven't tried the two brews I have already bottled yet, but my guess is they are poor (based on wort/prebottling tasting).

I am cleaning up boil-over as I type... :-\ I probably should have cleaned it up immediately. Ah Well.

Can't wait to start making nice, clean, good tasting beer. But that's why I am here, to get better

-peterson82

Don't be discouraged by the pre bottle taste! We (my sis-in law, my daughter and I) only started brewing a few months ago, but progressed very quickly to all grains! Our first few batches weren't that great pre-bottle and some even a couple weeks after bottling. However, each one has mellowed and become way better over time!! We just cooked our third all grain today and just tasting the wort, we can tell this will be a good batch (provided there is no contamination when we bottle!) Today's cook was our 11th!! We currently have 6 batches in various states of carbonation and 3 that are fermenting! Hang in there!! It's a messy fun hobby and the results are worth it! We are also currently in the process of building a three burner automatic system so we can brew bigger batches!! I'm loving this!!

Back