Author Topic: Mixed hops recipe?  (Read 3141 times)

Offline Jedred

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Mixed hops recipe?
« on: September 16, 2011, 10:15:07 AM »
Hi everybody,

I tried my hand at growing my own hops this year, and they did much better than I expected! The problem is that I had 2 separate rhizomes each of Cascade & Willamette, and they ended up growing together and twisting around each other so much that when I harvested last week, I wasn't able to untangle them or tell the difference! So now I've got 12 dried ounces of mixed Cascade & Willamette hops in the freezer, but I'm not sure if/how well they'll work in a recipe, as I know they're both used for different things.  Does anybody have any ideas/recommendations/recipes for a mixed bag of Cascade & Willamette? I'm thinking I can just use a normal IPA recipe and hope for the best, but wondering if anybody else has a better idea.

P.S. Next year I'll just stick to one variety!

Thanks!

maddspoiler

Re: Mixed hops recipe?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 01:22:29 PM »
I dont think you will be able to hit a certain style exactly or clone anything with them but you might have good results brewing a session beer or an american pale out of them. The IPA idea would probably work great. Thats the problem with homegrown hops you never know exactly what you have. I say use em and have fun. Good luck.

Here is a quote from another post by Jomebrew

I dug this up off homebrewtalk.  http://home.netcom.com/~dluzanp/backyard.htm

Also posted in this thread http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/testing-hg-hop-bitterness-134065/ was

Do the measurements accurately:

Take one ounce of your hops.

Boil two cups of water for 15 minutes with 1 scant Tbsp of sugar (utilization).
Add your hops and boil for 10 minutes.

Strain the hops and take your tea to dilute

1/4 of a cup of water to 1/4 cup of tea= one %.
So dump the first mixture retaining 1/4 cup and then add 1/4 cup water
Continue with dilute 1/4 cup of your tea until the bitterness is not distiguishable by taste.

Now if you have diluted 6 times and only have the slightest barely there bitterness-- you think about 6.1 or 6.3 %

It is a rough estimate: 5% to 6% for example, but it means you can brew with some idea of AA and you get to taste the hop tea too to get a flavor profile