• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mixed hops recipe?

Jedred

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I tried my hand at growing my own hops this year, and they did much better than I expected! The problem is that I had 2 separate rhizomes each of Cascade & Willamette, and they ended up growing together and twisting around each other so much that when I harvested last week, I wasn't able to untangle them or tell the difference! So now I've got 12 dried ounces of mixed Cascade & Willamette hops in the freezer, but I'm not sure if/how well they'll work in a recipe, as I know they're both used for different things.  Does anybody have any ideas/recommendations/recipes for a mixed bag of Cascade & Willamette? I'm thinking I can just use a normal IPA recipe and hope for the best, but wondering if anybody else has a better idea.

P.S. Next year I'll just stick to one variety!

Thanks!

I dont think you will be able to hit a certain style exactly or clone anything with them but you might have good results brewing a session beer or an american pale out of them. The IPA idea would probably work great. Thats the problem with homegrown hops you never know exactly what you have. I say use em and have fun. Good luck.

Here is a quote from another post by Jomebrew

jomebrew said:
I dug this up off homebrewtalk.  http://home.netcom.com/~dluzanp/backyard.htm

Also posted in this thread http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/testing-hg-hop-bitterness-134065/ was

Do the measurements accurately:

Take one ounce of your hops.

Boil two cups of water for 15 minutes with 1 scant Tbsp of sugar (utilization).
Add your hops and boil for 10 minutes.

Strain the hops and take your tea to dilute

1/4 of a cup of water to 1/4 cup of tea= one %.
So dump the first mixture retaining 1/4 cup and then add 1/4 cup water
Continue with dilute 1/4 cup of your tea until the bitterness is not distiguishable by taste.

Now if you have diluted 6 times and only have the slightest barely there bitterness-- you think about 6.1 or 6.3 %

It is a rough estimate: 5% to 6% for example, but it means you can brew with some idea of AA and you get to taste the hop tea too to get a flavor profile

Back