• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Yeast starter - options beyond with or without stir plate

toddm

Apprentice
Reaction score
Looking at the yeast starter tabs. There are two options, either with a stir plate or without. The calculations without a stir plate are they geared towards just making a starter and a quick shake, or a dose of O2, or shaking throughout? For each way of oxygenating the starter, some work better than others.

I don't think I'll use a stir plate in the near future.

Is there anyway of playing with the parameters to adjust the starter growth based on using other means of oxygenating the starter?

Hi,
  The defaults for stir plate assume a continuous stir plate which agitates the entire yeast starter.

You can, however, go into the Options dialog->Yeast Starter tab and modify the "Stir plate factor" which is the growth bonus (i.e. 2.66 times the growth) for using a stir plate.

I suppose if you wanted to you could check the stir plate box and then enter a much smaller "Stir plate factor" to represent the extra growth from the method you picked.

Brad

Back