• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Batch sparge temperatures

pquiring

Apprentice
Reaction score
I like the way the "Brew Steps" calculates the required volume of water for mash in and for batch sparges (I use 2 equal sparges).  My goal is to have the grain bed for each sparge be at about 168.  I can use the Tools > Infusion to determine the temperature of the water but I need to re-enter the grain weight and the sparge volume.  The sparge temperatures that I calculate using the Tools > Infusion are not included on the brew steps which I print out and keep with me while I'm brewing.

It would be great if the brew steps did this calculation for me. 

Thanks for the great tool and all the help.

Could I second this request? I'm finding it very time consuming to have to manually calculate the batch sparge temperature needed to raise the grain bed (once drained) to 170.

Also, when doing this manual calculation using the infusion tool, I don't know how much to put under "starting water volume" -- do I add just the amount of water in my MLT deadspace? Or should I also include the water the grainbed has absorbed during the mash? Both give very different results.

Thanks!

Hi,
  If you make a copy of the existing batch sparge profiles and add a "mash out" step (creating your own profile) similar to the ones you see in the other profiles that have a mash out, then BeerSmith will calculate the infusion needed to raise the grain bed to your desired mash out temperature before sparging.

Brad

Your suggestion will results in more water added to the mash tun to raise the temperature and mash out.    That isn't what I want.  What I'm hoping for is BeerSmith to do the following:

1. Calculate the amount and temperature of the initial water to add to the dry grain to mash-in (BeerSmith does this great)

I then want to drain the mash tun into the boil pot.  Then I want to perform two equal batch sparges to reach the pre-boil volume.

2. Calculate the volume and temperature of the 1st sparge water required to raise the temperature of the warm wet grain to the sparge temperature.
3. Calculate the volume and temperatore of the 2nd sparge water required to raise the temparature of the warmer wet grain to reach the sparge temperature.

Back