• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Converting AG to Extract

S

ShortyPacksaWallop

Recently I brewed a Munich Helles AG batch and shared it with a friend of mine who liked it so well he asked me to convert the recipe to Extract so that he could try to brew it. Knowing that BeerSmith has a conversion tool I told him I'd be glad to. Upon trying to convert it however, it completely removed the base malt (which I expected) but did not replace it with an extract malt. Instead, it increased the amount of carapils from 1 lb for a 10 gallon batch, to 110 pounds. It was easy enough to correct since it was obvious what wasn't right, but is not at all what I expected. Any thoughts? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Shorty,
 Could you send the recipe?

I'm guessing the original was a really light beer.  There are some pathological cases (which I tried to remove before release, but may not have perfected yet) where the color adjustment routine will go a little bit overboard when trying to correct the color, and increase a non-base malt way beyond the desired level.  Usually this occurs when you have a beer that has a color well below the color of pale extract.

If you could send me the original it would really help, since I can make some adjustments to the routine to try to correct this.

Overall the recipe conversion works pretty well considering how complex it actually is - but there is always room for improvement!

Brad

Thanks Brad. I'll attach the recipe here. I don't do a lot of conversions from AG to extract, in fact this is the first that I've had to do. Once I went AG, I knew I wasn't going back to extract!

11.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 64.7 %
4.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 23.5 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
1.00 lb Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00%] (90 min) Hops 7.9 IBU
1.00 oz Saaz [3.70%] (90 min) Hops 7.4 IBU
1.00 oz Saaz [3.70%] (15 min) Hops 3.4 IBU
1.00 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00%] (5 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -  
2.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc  
2 Pkgs Bohemian Lager (Wyeast Labs #2124) Yeast-Lager  

Triple Decoction Mash.  (pain to accomplish, but well worth the effort)

Regards,

Shorty...

Back