• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Sanitizer

Devrek

Apprentice
Reaction score
I use Idophor BTF Sanitizer and I became really tired of making 5 gallons every time I needed it so I decided to bottle it in old (cleaned) milk jugs. Well after a few months I found that it became very cloudy like it was eating away at the jugs. Is it corrosive when dilluted? How long does Sanitizer stay good for once made? I was thinking about filling a Soda keg with it and just dispersing it when needed...Any other ideas?? Thanks :D

I tried keeping some diluted iodophor but noticed after several hours the solution was becoming clearer. I took that to mean it had a relatively short shelf life when diluted. There is some good info out there if you Google "iodophor shelf life" .... The following is sniped from an interview with the General Manager of BTF, Dr. L. Charles Landman. Pretty much confirms my suspicions. I'd just mix a fresh batch each time .... it's cheap insurance.

"Regarding iodophor that has been diluted to a working solution, Dr. Landman explained that there are a number of things that work to degrade the products' efficacy. Chlorine and protein load were the two mentioned first, but Dr. Landman agreed that both sunlight and exposure to the atmosphere may very well be factors. Iodophor is very stable in it's undiluted form, but will begin to degrade, (albeit slowly), once it has been diluted to a working solution. In either case, it is far more stable than chlorine which begins to degrade immediately upon being manufactured. The color of the iodophor solution is a rough guide to it's effectiveness as a sanitizer. If the solution still has its amber color, it is most likely still active. It is recommended that a fresh solution should be mixed when the color fades or after 24 hours."

The entire article by Robert Arguello is at    http://www.bayareamashers.org/content/maindocs/iodophor.htm

Bruce

Idophor does not keep. I use an old bottling bucket and fill it with the garden hose. Takes 5 minutes to make a batch, and costs 50 cents.

From what I have read BTF Iodophor is only good up to 24 hours after mixing. If you want something you can make up and reuse try Star San. Mix it in a sealed bucket or spray bottle and its good until it stops foaming. Usually lasts a couple weeks or so depending on how often you brew. I would not plan on dispensing any sanitizer from a soda keg. Most sanitizers are corrosive to metals. Its one thing if your just doing a quick soak to sanitize but letting it sit in there continuously it will probably eat the metal.

Here is the MSDS for BTF Iodophor
http://www.nationalchemicals.com/msds/documents/MSDSBTFIodophor5_09.pdf

Here is the one for Star San
http://www.fivestarchemicals.com/wp-content/uploads/StarSanHBMSDS2.pdf

Don't use tap water with star san...use distilled.  It'll last for several months that way.

Mark

I make a 2.5 gallon batch of Star San and use it in spray bottles, (BTW - Handy in the kitchen.)  I add about a gallon or so to a carboy and swish it around.  I then dump it back in the bucket I mixed it up in.  If I need it in a couple of weeks, I will use a test strip to check the acid level.

Cheap N easy.

Back