• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Every field is a "Calculator"

BeerSmith

Staff member
Administrator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
An often overlooked feature...

Every numeric field in BeerSmith is a mini-calculator - so you can enter simple expressions like 3.4/1.2 or 1.4*4 and BeerSmith will calculate the correct number after you press OK.

Operators include:
  *  Multiplication
  /   Division
  +  Addition
  -  Subtraction
  ( ) Parenthesis let you group expressions

Cheers!
Brad

Damn that's cunning - and probably straight forward. Why didn't so many others think about it! Many times using all sorts of app's when it comes to entering data I've had to reach over for the calculator (or Excel)  ;)

Trev

You will like this...

In the latest release of 1.2 which I just finished (soon to be public) - you can enter any units in any field!

For example you can put "5*40 g" in a field meant to take ounces and it will not only calculate what 5*40 is but also convert grams to ounces automatically.  It works with weights, volumes, temperatures, gravity, etc...in every field in the program.

Cheers!
Brad

Brad, are all the abbreviations we can use listed in the program somewhere?  Like adding the "g" for grams?  What's the one for "cup"?  Also, I just thought of something...how would you convert a "cup" of honey, for example, to pounds?  What if I used a cup of grain?  They'd not be the same weight, right?

Thanx!  Nice feature!

Yes, you can use "g" for grams, "c" for cups, "lb" for pounds -- most of the normal abbreviations work.

I do not attempt to convert between volume and weight measurements for the reason you mention.  You must use volume units for volume fields and weight units for weight fields.  Others will be ignored since I have no idea what the density of the "stuff" you are measuring is.

Cheers!
Brad

Back